Thursday 16th June 2011

One of my favorite Argentine poets, the great educator Almafuerte (1854-1917), wrote: "To the weak, difficulty is a closed door. To the strong, however, it is a door waiting to be opened." Difficulties impede the progress of those who are weak. For the strong, however, they are opportunities to open wide the doors to a bright future. Everything is determined by our attitude, by our resolve. Our heart is what matters most.
Daisaku Ikeda


"Our heart is what matters most" .... One of many references to 'heart' in Nichiren Buddhism and SGI.

I used to struggle with that a bit and have heard a number of people take it as a bit of a 'fluffy' thing .. eg important to have a warm heart, heart to heart etc etc

Whilst not disagreeing with that, I have always felt it was something much more than that and it was explained in a study lecture that the Japanese word for 'heart' in Buddhism meant so much more and encompassed our whole being ... almost like spirit or soul ... Apparently it doesn't translate well into English as there isn't a word for it in the English language.

My own feeling is that the heart in our bodies doesn't just sit there passively but works hard pumping blood around our bodies, and in many ways that reflects what I feel 'heart' means in Buddhism.

It is a combination of many things, probably best summed up by the word 'ichinen' or inner determination. So whilst it does also mean compassion, it also means courage, spirit, determination and a fighting spirit ...

Right .. well now I've explained that to myself, I guess I should get out of bed and put it into practice!