12/6/11

Education definitely changes people's lives. This is why the SGI is so earnest when it comes to Buddhist study, which is the highest field of learning; it is the study of human beings and the foremost education. Buddhist study is the soul of the SGI.
Daisaku Ikeda


My own practise has been a bit up and down this last 6 months or so for a number of reasons, though I have never stopped believing. Todays quote really struck me in that it points out that the whole point of Buddhism is life and particularly for us, human beings.

It is easy to get lost in politics or philosophy and actually forgot the people who are suffering because of it. For example we may (or may not) support the Palestinian cause and may even sympathise when a Palestinian attack is launched on a Jewish settlement (you could equally read any conflict going on in the world).

However, at the end of all this conflict is a human life and an Israeli mother will suffer just as much as a Palestinian mother over the loss of a child. It is easy to forget this but we never must!

This also applies in our daily life. We can become so wrapped up in our own troubles that we forget about others suffering too.

I always remember a quote by Rosa Parks which went something like "Whenever I am suffering, I look around to see who I can help"

Food for thought!