Friday 17th June 2011

How exhilarating it is to stand tall, walk with a buoyant step and be flexible in one's actions! How attractive to those we meet are our sparkling eyes and vibrant voices! This is the principle of the true entity of all phenomena. Your fresh and vital appearance eloquently attests to the greatness of faith, and you will find that you naturally cultivate a sphere of friendship and understanding among those around you.
Daisaku Ikeda

My first reaction on reading guidance like this is to groan ... not exactly the response that was hoped for no doubt. It used to really annoy me at one time, some of the use of language which seems slightly archaic and grandiose.

But, you know what, it really doesn't bother me now ... I just accept the language for what it is and look for what it means to me and how I can put it into action in my own life.

For me, the above guidance means to be open, positive and happy but not in a fake way .. you know that 'born again happy clappy' type of happiness. This is not the kind of happiness that we mean in Buddhism but the kind of happiness that comes through a solid sense of self and belief in our own buddhahood. This is not something we can fake by walking around smiling but something that we have to develop and continually work on day by day through a strong buddhist practise and confident daimoku.